DDS for realtme Imaging PreviousNext
Data Distribution Service (DDS) Forum > DDS Hitchhiker's Forum >
Message/Author
Next message Sreeram Vaidyanathan  posted on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:46 am
Hello,
I am am working on real time Image processing of data coming from an X-Ray Machine. and rendering of the scrolling Image on a web based UI. for which I am exploring to use DDS, however I being new to DDS and after comparing tons of dds/mqtt/rti comparison over the web, I feel even more confused as to which technology and product would fit my requirement.

can some one let me know which DDS would be the best fit for working on a single board PC or a PC?
Next message Sreeram Vaidyanathan  posted on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 01:54 pm
Or... Perhaps.. I too might go with OpenSplice... I see its sold left and right over different forums :-)
Next message Angelo Corsaro  posted on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 04:01 pm
Hello Sreeram,

DDS works great on a single board PC or a PC. If you are planning to consume data from an HTML5 UI you could use JavaScript/CoffeScript DDS implementations such as Vortex Web on your UI and Vortex OpenSplice or Lite on the card that acquires the image from the X-Ray.

As a matter of fact, DDS is quite popular in medical devices. There are even initiative such as the Medical Device Plug and Play (MDPnP.org) that are recommending the use of DDS as the data sharing mechanism for medical devices.

Thus, the choice of DDS should be quite safe.

Anyway, if you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask. Have you checked the material available at http://slideshare.net/angelo.corsaro ? There is plenty of educational material for DDS.

Cheers,
Angelo
Next message James Butcher  posted on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 04:05 pm
Hi Sreeram

Do you know which features of DDS you might require?

Since you are particularly working on a medical imagery use case the following white paper might be useful in helping to identify which DDS features are most applicable - DISCLAIMER : I do work for PrismTech ;)
http://www.prismtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/DDS-Healthcare-Medical-WP -050914.pdf

There are full implementations of the DDS specification such as Vortex OpenSplice (as you mentioned), that are suited for PCs for example, and also more lightweight implementations which don't provide all features but might be more appropriate for single board PCs. There is a general trend towards embedded Linux on ARM devices I would say - particular for "IoT" use cases. Most of the vendors provide easily accessible data sheets and performance metrics.

You might also consider DDS implementations that provide a JavaScript API which might make the web-based UI integration easier.

BR,
James
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: