DDS & processes on same box PreviousNext
Data Distribution Service (DDS) Forum > DDS FAQ >
Message/Author
Next message Anthony DaSilva Jr  posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 02:42 pm
If I have two processes that are running on the same box and they use DDS to communicate, will DDS use the OS-specific IPC services to enable this communication or will it use the TCP/IP stack as if the processes were running on different boxes?

Also, if I have one process with two DDS communicating threads running within it, will DDS utilize some OS-specific inter-thread comm transport (like queues, mailboxes)?
Next message Niels Kortstee  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 07:38 am
This depends on the DDS implementation. The DDS specification only specifies an API interface with its according behaviour, but does not address the protocol used by the implementation to exchange messages over transports such as TCP/UDP/IP.

PrismTech's OpenSplice DDS utilizes a shared-memory segment on a node so that data needs to be present only once, even when there are many applications running on the node that are interested in that data. Smart administration secures a ‘private’ cache as observed by each reader/writer but physically the data itself is present only once. This means that data doesn’t have to be ‘moved’ within a node resulting in excellent performance and scalability.
Next message Anthony DaSilva Jr  posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:14 pm
Hi Niels,

Thanks for the answer - it makes sense. In terms of server OS's like Linux/Solaris/Windows I understand the shared memory implementation. How about sibgle memory space RTOS's like VxWorks? Does the OpenSplice DDS implementation use VxWorks queues/mailboxes to communicate topic instances?

Thanks!
Next message Niels Kortstee  posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 02:37 pm
Hi Anthony,

Each OS that is POSIX-compliant, provides support for shared memory.

VxWorks 5.5 is not POSIX-compliant, but it already has a single memory space that acts as 'shared memory' to communicate between tasks.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: