Typical minimum footprint PreviousNext
Data Distribution Service (DDS) Forum > DDS FAQ >
Message/Author
Next message Devin Butterfield  posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 03:13 pm
Hi,

Can anyone who is familiar with the currently available implementations of DDS give me a rough idea of the typical minimum memory footprint of DCPS (i.e., how much RAM must my target platform provide to run DCPS)?

Some numbers for C and C++ implementations would be interesting to compare.

Thanks.
--
Regards, Devin
Next message Hans van 't Hag  posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 02:18 pm
Hi Devin,

I guess it depends on the DDS implementation, but for OpenSplice DDS its like this:

- each application will be linked to a shared-library (.so file) of about 1 Mbyte (so only in memory once), depending on language (1.5 Mbyte for C++/Java based applications)

- we utilize a shared-memory segment to hold a single-copy of topic-samples, regardless of the number of dataReaders for it. Since the DDS-spec also specifies a lot of 'built-in' topics that are present 'by-definition' it makes sense to reserve at least 1 Mbyte of shared-memory. But the actually needed amount is very depending on the number of readers, topic-structure, amount-of topic-instances in the system driven by history settings.

- Heap/stack around 30 Kbyte per reader/writer

Please note that the above is for the full-profile DCPS implementation (minimum, ownership, content-subscription, persistence).
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: