Domain entity modelling options in DDS PreviousNext
Data Distribution Service (DDS) Forum > DDS FAQ >
Message/Author
Next message Mark Perkin  posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 01:59 pm
When using DDS, do I have to model my domain entities in IDL? And does a compliant DDS implementation have to adopt a code generation approach to create a set of classes for each type the user defines?

In finance, all market data systems I have seen define a wire format that can represent some arbitrary composite type - name-value pairs with possibly support for nesting. This format is either self- describing or requires a data dictionary to interpret it.

APIs for such systems do not need types/classes for each domain entity that is being sent. Rather they have a single "Message" type/class that support get and set of attributes by name ( get("PRICE") rather than a specific method getPrice() ). Furthermore, the types and their attributes can then be loaded dynamically.

Could this be supported within DDS?

regards,

Mark Perkin
Next message Mark Perkin  posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 01:06 pm
Does anyone have any comments on my question. In summary,is there a way to use DDS without IDL and without code generators.

The structure of the entities my application might want to subscribe to are not known at build time; they are loaded from some directory service at run-time.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: