DDS communication over network PreviousNext
Data Distribution Service (DDS) Forum > DDS FAQ >
Message/Author
Next message A.Romero  posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 12:33 pm
Hello,

I am trying to execute an OpenSpliceDDS example in two computers (linux). The example has one publisher that send data to the subscriber. I would like that one computer was the publisher and the other the subscriber. How can I do that? I must to compile all in one computer , put the publiher executable file in the computer that is going to be the publisher, the subscriber file in the other and start Opensplice in both?.

Thank you!
Next message Hans van 't Hag  posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 04:59 pm
Hi A. Romero,

A basic concept of DDS is that it provides loosely-coupled communication where information published by (typed-)writers will dynamically and transparently find its way to subscribed (typed-)readers. Creating the writers/readers for these (typed) topics is basically 'the declaration of intent' that allows the middleware to 'discover' their presence and set-up communication paths that will allow the information to be distributed and delivered.

So now to OpenSplice DDS: as its a DDS implementation, it follows the same pattern so applications don't need to be aware of each other. From a configuration perspective, when using the default xml-configuration file as is part of our distribution, networking is already properly configures such that your 'publisher' can talk to the 'subscriber'.
You're right that you have to start the middleware on both nodes since we've adopted an architecture where there's an active component (our networking-service also called our 'network-scheduler') that schedules network-traffic based upon the actual importance (TRANSPORT_PRIROITY) and urgency (LATENCY_BUDGET) of each piece of published information (and with that allow for both urgency-based efficiency as well as importance-based determinism which are both pretty relevant in large-scale distributed realtime mission-critical environments :-) )
Next message Amit Kaushik  posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 05:36 am
Hi,

I am new to DDS.

I wanted to try out some of the examples given along with Opensplice dds.
I am using the community edition of opensplice dds.

I am trying to run publisher on one machine and subscriber on another.

I have two machines configured with openspilce dds.
Both on LAN.

I tried executing the PinpPong example.

I executed Pong on one of the machine and Ping on another (with matching Read & Write partitions).

It is not working out and i am getting error on the machine where I am executing ping application. 'PING Failed : Timed out'

I read some earlier posts explaining about the networking service of dds and the default settings in the config file.

I assumed the dds will automatically find the other running dds infrastructures on network. Is this assumption incorrect?

Please let me know where I am going wrong

Thanks in advance
Regards

Amit
Next message Hans van 't Hag  posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:32 am
Hi Amit,

Could you pleaes post you product-specific questions on product-specific forums and/or mailing lists, as we like to keep this forum about DDS concepts (and if appropriate how implementations deal with those concepts).

For OpenSplice DDS, please visit www.opensplice.org for the appropriate mailing-lists (OSPL_DEV) where you could ask your questions,

Thanks,
Hans
Next message Amit Kaushik  posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 10:27 am
Hi Hans,

Thanks for your guidance.

Amit
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: