Why CORBA for pub sub PreviousNext
Data Distribution Service (DDS) Forum > DDS Technical Forum >
Message/Author
Next message Agent Smith  posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 11:24 am
Hi All,
As I know it,CORBA is only for synchronous communication whereas in pub sub based DDS ,we expect asynchronous communication between the publisher and subscriber.
Then why does so many DDS implementations like OpenDDS and OpenSplice require the TAO libraries for CORBA?
Next message Angelo Corsaro  posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 11:45 am
Dear Agent Smith,

The answer to your question is pretty simple.

OpenSplice DDS does not rely on CORBA as a transport. OpenSpliceDDS provides cohabitation with CORBA to make it easy to pass Topics data to CORBA calls. Yet all communication goes straight on UDP.

Even OpenDDS does not use CORBA as a transport, I believe they use the Interface Repository for implementing discovery, but that's it.

If you want to see this with your eyes, you can download an OpenSplice DDS version and inspect its traffic with Wireshark. Otherwise, you can download a source distribution and build-it w/o ORB-cohabitation option.

HTH.

Cheers,
Angelo
Next message Agent Smith  posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 04:43 am
Thanks a lot for that answer...
Next message Steve Totten  posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 04:50 pm
Angelo is correct, OpenDDS does not use CORBA as the transport. It does use a CORBA service, implemented with TAO, called the DCPS Information Repository (DCPSInfoRepo) for registration and discovery of domain participants, topics, publications, and subscriptions.

The OpenDDS Developer's Guide, which can be downloaded free via http://www.opendds.org/documentation.html, provides more details. Also, you can download, build, and run OpenDDS to give it a try. A new Wireshark plug-in for OpenDDS will be available in an upcoming release, so you can examine OpenDDS traffic (non-CORBA) on the wire.

Steve
Next message Steve Totten  posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 08:09 pm
As a follow-up to my previous post on this discussion...

OpenDDS 2.1.1 is now available. This new version includes the Wireshark 1.2.x compatible dissector that I alluded to in the previous post. It also includes a few bug fixes.

Visit http://www.opendds.org/ to see the release notes, download the source and build/installation instructions, etc.

Steve
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: