Which DDS to choose? PreviousNext
Data Distribution Service (DDS) Forum > DDS Technical Forum >
Message/Author
Next message Markus Wahl  posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 11:37 am
I am evaluating DDS for the sake of learning DDS. My focus is Java and more to the point; I want to evaluate DDS in Java.

I have browsed around a bit amongst the available implementations.

JacORB seems to have some DDS support, although no documentation about DDS on their website (jacorb.org). A TODOLIST.txt file states "finalize DDS implementation", and the last release of JacORB was in 2007. Am I right in thinking that the JacORB project is dead??

OpenDDS has a kind of Java port, in that that a Java program can access the OpenDDS framework through JNI (java native interface, i e via C's h files). But that seems cumbersome to me because on top of the IDL file for the DDS topic message type, one needs to create a h header filer for each IDL. I haven't tried this yet. Is it worth an attempt?

But, and here comes my question to you guys; is there
some better Java option amongst the remaining DDS implementations?

I tried downloading both OpenSplice and RTI:s implementation, but they require registering, and it was saturday yesterday so they haven't treated my registration application yet (<rant>in the age of easily available good software from software houses like apache or Sun, I am surprised every time I stumble upon companies that make it cumbersome to even try out their software...</rant>).

But before getting my hands on OpenSplice or RTI:s version, I don't even know if those two frameworks are meant for Java. Are they?
Next message Niels Kortstee  posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 07:52 am
Hi Markus,

The OpenSplice DDS product supports Java for both DCPS and DLRL API's. RTI does support Java DCPS, but provides no DLRL API at all as far as I know.

The OpenSplice Youtube channel is a good place to start learning about DDS and OpenSplice (http://www.youtube.com/OpenSpliceTube).

There is also a good opensource benchmarking suite for DDS on Sourceforge called DDS TouchStone (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dds-touchstone). The source code of this benchmarking suite will also help you understanding DDS.

Best regards, Niels
Next message Markus Wahl  posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 02:06 pm
I have received information from RTI regarding their implementation of DDS.

> > someone@RTI wrote:
> > > Hi Markus,
> > >
> > > The forum is not really the place to
> > > trumpet one's own product, in addition
> > > the forum is not as open as it may seem.
> > >
> > > However you may wish to know that the
> > > RTI Data Distribution Service does
> > > support JAVA.
> > >
> > > ...
> > >
> > >, in addition the forum is not as open
> > > as it may seem.
> >
> > oh, I missed that. please explain how
> > it is not open.
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> The forum is not open it is run by
> PrismTech vendors of OpenSplice DDS,
> RTI is unable to contribute any
> responses to the questions posted.
>
> > > However you may wish to know that the
> > > RTI Data Distribution Service does
> > > support JAVA.
> >
> > great. is it pure java? does it require
> > JNI?
>
> The RTI Java solution is not a ‘pure’
> Java solution in that it does require
> JNI.

I feel that the opinion that the forum is not open is not the opinion that should prevail. This is afterall a forum that OMG:s site (http://portals.omg.org/dds) describes as open:

"The DDS Forum has been launched today an online initiative dedicated
to bringing together the worldwide community of Data Distribution
Service (DDS) and real-time, Quality of Service (QoS) -enabled publish
subscribe middleware architects, developers and practitioners. The DDS
Forum will provide a platform to share views, experiences and know how
for data-centric integration in today's most demanding SOA and
net-centric applications. The DDS Forum can be accessed at
http://www.dds-forum.org."

RTI may be right in that it is managed by their competitor, but it is
an open forum all the same, all in the spirit of OMG.

Now, I don't want to make a fuss about this. But I do think that the contributors of this forum or this community can spread around the intent of the forum more clearly; the guys over at RTI seem to have a misconception about the need to spread knowledge around about DDS and its uses. Some guided effort aimed at inviting RTI to this forum would probably be a good thing.
Next message Niels Kortstee  posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 02:16 pm
Hi Markus,

The fact that anyone can register and post messages at this forum makes it open in my opinion. The statement: 'RTI is unable to contribute any responses to the questions posted' is therefore incorrect. Maybe they are 'unwilling' to contribute?

Any DDS vendor is welcome to react on any question posted here.

Best regards, Niels
Next message Angelo Corsaro  posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 05:54 pm
Hello Markus,

Thanks very much for raising this point; it is very important and potentially controversial, thus we cannot afford any ambiguity.

At PrismTech we launched the DDS Forum with the best intent of gathering and engaging the DDS Community into discussing technical matters, technology directions, etc. We made it very clear that this was about technology and not about products, and you should concur with me that the time has shown that we were sincere and honest in our intents.

We also stated, from the very beginning, that this was an Open Forum. By OPEN we always meant free for everyone to join and contribute. As a matter of fact we have people who have contributed which are associated with DDS vendors other than PrismTech.

I hope that RTI will soon realize the value that the Forum is bringing to the DDS Community and will thereafter join and help expanding the ecosystem around this Cool Technology!

Finally, as a reference I am coping below the text of the original PR (also available at http://www.prismtech.com/section-item.asp?id=750) which includes a quote from Richar Soley, the OMG's CEO. You'll see once again that the PR was pretty clear about the intent.

Cheers,

Angelo Corsaro, Ph.D. | angelo.corsaro@prismtech.com
Product Strategy & Marketing Manager
PrismTech
4 rue Angiboust | 91460 Marcoussis | France

----------------------------------
PrismTech Launches DDS Forum
www.dds-forum.org

An online forum dedicated to bringing together Data Distribution Service (DDS) and real-time, QoS-enabled publish subscribe middleware practitioners to share views, experiences and know how

Boston, MA, USA – 10 October, 2007 - PrismTech™, a leader in high-performance middleware and development tools, today announced the launch of the DDS Forum an online initiative dedicated to bringing together the worldwide community of Data Distribution Service (DDS) and real-time, Quality of Service (QoS) -enabled publish subscribe middleware architects, developers and practitioners. The DDS Forum will provide a platform to share views, experiences and know how for data-centric integration in today’s most demanding SOA and net-centric applications. The DDS Forum can be accessed at http://www.dds-forum.org.

While the Object Management Group™’s (OMG™’s) DDS standard continues to gain momentum within its traditional core defense and aerospace markets, its applicability as a high performance, real-time Quality of Service (QoS) publish subscribe message-oriented middleware and data-centric integration infrastructure supporting both Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and net-centric applications is also increasingly being recognized. Low-latency, high-throughput and high availability data distribution, demanding business event processing, and coherent distributed data management across distributed systems are common problems found in today’s telecommunications, transportation, manufacturing and financial services industries which DDS can easily solve.

With this increasing interest in DDS and associated middleware technologies it has become apparent that there is a need for a neutral unbiased go-to place to bounce ideas amongst like-minded people.

The new DDS Forum has been designed to address this need by allowing both newcomers to DDS, seeking to educate and familiarize themselves, and DDS veterans, looking for advanced expertise using the technology, to benefit by sharing views, experiences and know how and to fully maximize their investment in the technology.

“I welcome PrismTech’s initiative to offer an interactive forum to share knowledge and source the most up-to-date industry information around our DDS standard,” said Richard Mark Soley, Ph.D., chairman and CEO of Object Management Group. “This will appeal to a broad spectrum of the DDS community and perfectly complements our own portal (http://portals.omg.org/dds) where information related to the specification itself can be found.”

“We are very excited to be able to facilitate this platform to share ideas and experiences on DDS middleware,” said Dr. Angelo Corsaro, Product Marketing Manager, PrismTech, and co-chair of the OMG DDS Special Interest Group. “This new forum continues PrismTech’s long standing dedication to open-standards and community based initiatives as an active OMG contributor and recognized thought leader in distributed middleware infrastructure.”

----------------------------------
Next message meriem  posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 09:55 am
hello
I have to develop a simulator for data centric publisher subscriber communication according to DDS specification but i dont know how to begin,please i need your help
Next message Hans van 't Hag  posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 04:10 pm
Hi Meriem,

I'd suggest to download OpenSplice DDS (from www.opensplice.org), play around with the bundled examples and learn from the youtube video's (http://www.youtube.com/user/OpenSpliceTube)

Also you might want to take a look at http://code.google.com/p/simd-cxx/ which provides a preview version of the upcoming simplified C++ API specification for DDS.

Regards,
Hans
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: