DDS topic generation from binary data PreviousNext
Data Distribution Service (DDS) Forum > DDS Technical Forum >
Message/Author
Next message Anonymous posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 02:08 pm
Hi all,

I'm looking to build an application that parses binary data received from monitoring data busses, and generates predefined DDS topics and publishes them to distributed subscribers

The topic despcription will be maintained and managed in an offline XML based tool

Does anyone know of a suitable tool/project for this kind of job

thanks
Ron
Next message Hans van 't Hag  posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 01:32 pm
HI Ron

OpenSplice DDS is a DDS implementation that allows to create topics 'on-the-fly' from XML-based type-descriptions. This feature goes beyond the current OMG DDS specification that basically assumes that topic-types are pre-defined in IDL at design-time and processed by a IDL-compiler (that generates strong-typed interfaces as well as 'type-support' that allows to register the type in DDS before creating a topic at runtime) .

Another approach could perhaps be to define a single (unbounded) type (like a monitor-id as a key-field and an unbounded sequence of octets to hold the monitoring-data) from which as many topics as needed can be created at runtime (without the need for dynamic creation of types and thus also maintaining strong typed APIs).
Next message Anonymous posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:41 am
Thanks Hans

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you addressed topic generation from XML specification

Do you know of an existing tool that would also carry out the mapping of fields from a binary stream.
I'm aware that this has nothing to do with DDS, but I'd hate to "reinvent the wheel"

Ron
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: